End of this page section.

Begin of page section: Contents:

Before your stay

Planning your stay in Graz

On the following page you will find more information to better plan your stay at the University of Graz.

You can reach Graz by car, plane, bus or train.

The buildings of the University of Graz are found in several locations throughout the city. On the main campus, you will find – among other things – the main building at Universitaetsplatz 3, where the Academic Affairs office (admission process) and other central contact points are located. You can reach the main building by taking bus 63 (stop: "University") or 58 (stop: "Mozartgasse" or "Liebiggasse") from the main train station (Hauptbahnhof). From the Jakominiplatz, you can take bus 31 (stop:  "Uni/RESOWI" or "Uni/Mensa") to reach the main campus. If you are looking for a particular building or institution, you can use the interactive campus map to search for a specific address.

More information:

Guest researchers from EU/EEA countries, who do not have an employment contract with the University of Graz should enquire whether it is possible to use their health insurance in Austria or not. For stays longer than 6 months, an EU/EEA confirmation of registration (“Anmeldebescheinigung”) has to be completed, for which a valid health insurance is required, amongst others.

Guest researchers from non-EU/EEA countries, who stay less than 6 months in Austria have to enquire about insurance requirements at the respective Austrian representative authority (embassy/consulate general) in the country of their current residence. Insurance is required to issue a visa for gainful employment.

Guest researchers from non-EU/EEA countries, who stay more than 6 months in Austria need to have a valid health insurance that covers all risks in Austria. Please note that a travel insurance is not sufficient (e.g. visa insurance for Schengen visa). Please contact the Welcome Center for further information.

Further information:

Graz offers a wide range of housing options for international students. We suggest to book a hotel room or fully furnished apartment for your first days or weeks in Graz. This gives you the opportunity to find permanent housing directly in Graz.

rental agreement can be concluded for either a limited or an indefinite period of time. It is usually possible to terminate the agreement prior to the contract end-date, but you should read the exact provisions on the website of the Tenants' Association(Mietervereinigung, only in German). For example, if you have a rental agreement that extends for three years, you are legally allowed to terminate the contract after one year.

You can find apartments and rooms for rent by private parties on particular websites. You can also find suitable places to live advertised in Austrian and local newspapers (e.g., the Kleine Zeitung, Kronen Zeitung, Der Standard, and Die Presse). The Austrian Students Union (Österreichische Hochschüler/innenschaft, ÖH) at the Uni Graz also maintains an online platform that can be helpful during your search for a job and/or residence in Graz.

When an apartment is rented through a real estate agent (Makler/innen), a broker's commission of up to 2 months’ rent can be additionally charged, depending on the length of the contract. For more information about brokerage commissions in Austria, visit the website of the Tenants' Association (Mietervereinigung, only in German).

You can also find useful information concerning accommodation on page 11 of the brochure "Living and Working in Austria".

More information:

Portals for finding accommodation:


Welcome Center
Universitaetsplatz 3/1st floor 8010 Graz
Phone:+43 (0)316 380 - 3940


Opening hours:
Monday - Friday 10am - 12 noon
as well as on appointment

Please note our news section for changes!

End of this page section.

Begin of page section: Additional information:

End of this page section.