End of this page section.

Begin of page section: Contents:

Before Your Stay

Planning your arrival

The first step for international prospective students is to submit the application for admission to studies at the Academic Affairs. If you already received an official notice of admission ("letter of admission"), you can also submit your visa/residence permit application.

Here you can find useful information for planning your arrival:

You can reach Graz by car, plane, bus or train.

The buildings of the University of Graz are found in several locations throughout the city. On the main campus, you will find – among other things – the main building at Universitaetsplatz 3, where the Academic Affairs office (admission process) and other central contact points are located. You can reach the main building by taking bus 63 (stop: "University") or 58 (stop: "Mozartgasse" or "Liebiggasse") from the main train station (Hauptbahnhof). From the Jakominiplatz, you can take bus 31 (stop:  "Uni/RESOWI" or "Uni/Mensa") to reach the main campus. If you are looking for a particular building or institution, you can use the interactive campus map to search for a specific address.

More information:


General funding opportunities and scholarships can be found by searching the Austrian Database for Scholarships and Research Funds.

The faculties award merit-based scholarships for the past academic year. Students with excellent grades can apply within a period of time, the exact dates and prerequisites can be found on the respective website:

In Austria, health insurance is compulsory.

Students from EU/EEA countries and Switzerland who are health insured in their home country can apply for a European Health Insurance Card at their national insurance provider. Please have a look at the OeAD website or contact your national health insurance provider for further information and how to proceed. Please note that EU/EEA nationals have to complete an additional EU/EEA confirmation of registration after arrival, for which a valid health insurance is required.

Degree programme students (ordentliche Studierende) and non-degree programme students (außerordentliche Studierende) at University Preparation Programmes (Vorstudienlehrgänge) may take out a students’ health insurance policy with the Styrian Public Health Insurance (StGKK), if they fulfill the requirements. The monthly insurance premium is approx. 60 EUR, you can find further information and the requirements on the mentioned websites by OeAD and StGKK.

Alternatively, international students can also take out a private health insurance. Note though that a private health insurance must be equal to an Austrian compulsory insurance (gesetzliche Pflichtversicherung) to fulfill the residence title requirements! A Schengen visa insurance does not fulfill the residence title requirements.

As soon as you are insured with a national health insurance provider, you will be sent an E-Card, upon which personal data such as your insurance number and name are stored. When you visit a doctor, you must show them your E-Card. There are doctors who have contracts with one or more health insurance providers (Kassenarzt), private consultants (Wahlarzt) and private specialists (Privatarzt). The costs of the services from a contracted doctor are covered by the health insurance provider. Should you decide to go to a private consultant, you must first pay for the treatment, but your health insurance provide may refund part of the cost if you submit the invoice. You must pay for the costs associated with treatment by a private specialist on your own. You can read more on the Public Health Portal of Austria (Öffentlichen Gesundheitsportal Österreichs, only in German).

Graz offers a wide range of housing options for international students. Students can either stay in dorms or private apartments/houses or share apartments with others.

rental agreement can be concluded for either a limited or an indefinite period of time. It is usually possible to terminate the agreement prior to the contract end-date, but you should read the exact provisions on the website of the Tenants' Association (Mietervereinigung, only in German). For example, if you have a rental agreement that extends for three years, you are legally allowed to terminate the contract after one year.

You can find apartments and rooms for rent by private parties on particular websites. You can also find suitable places to live advertised in Austrian and local newspapers (e.g., the Kleine Zeitung, Kronen Zeitung, Der Standard, and Die Presse). The Austrian Students Union (Österreichische Hochschüler/innenschaft, ÖH) at the Uni Graz also maintains an online platform that can be helpful during your search for a job and/or residence in Graz.

When an apartment is rented through a real estate agent (Makler/innen), a broker's commission of up to 2 months’ rent can be additionally charged, depending on the length of the contract. For more information about brokerage commissions in Austria, visit the website of the Tenants' Association (Mietervereinigung, only in German).

You can also find useful information concerning accommodation on page 11 of the brochure "Living and Working in Austria".

More information:

Portals for finding accommodation:

Housing Benefits (Wohnbeihilfe)

If you have established Graz as your principal residence and meet the requirements specified, you can apply for housing benefits. You can find more information on this topic (in German) on the website of Province of Styria.


Welcome Center
Universitaetsplatz 3/I 8010 Graz
Phone:+43 (0)316 380 - 3940

Office hours:
Monday - Friday: 10 am-12 noon
as well as on appointment

End of this page section.

Begin of page section: Additional information:

End of this page section.