End of this page section.

Begin of page section: Contents:

Admission Process

What is the "general university entrance qualification?

According to the Austrian University Act of 2002, this document - amongst others - is required to enroll for a regular degree programme at a university. The following documents are accepted:

  • Austrian school leaving examination or equivalent
  • University Entrance Qualification Exam (Studienberechtigungsprüfung)
  • Proof of completed degree (at least three years of study at an officially recognized post-secondary educational institution)
  • Proof of completed course (at least three years, university-level course)

For doctoral programmes, a master’s or diploma degree is required as general university entrance qualification.

Concerning the equivalence of foreign certificates/diplomas, the final decision is taken by the rectorate. The documents will be reviewed once the complete application for international students has arrived at the Academic Affairs office. If foreign diplomas/certificates do not comply with these specifications, supplementary examinations can be imposed. Once the supplementary examinations are passed, an admission to a regular degree programme is possible.


Some study programmes at the University of Graz require students to pass an entrance procedure prior to the admission. There are three different types of procedures:

  1. Restriction to a maximum number of students & other selection criteria
  2. Supplementary test  (no max. number of students)
  3. Entrance exam for teacher training programme

You should register for the exams/procedures well in advance within the deadlines. To gain admission to the above-mentioned study programmes, you need to add a confirmation of passing the entrance procedure to your other application documents!

*Website only in German - all of these programmes require German language skills prior to admission!

Please hand in your original documents together with the application form at the Office of Academic Affairs. You can hand in your application personally or by post. Please note that legalized copies are not accepted!

Note! Please consider that your original documents will be returned by post to the address indicated on the application form!

Bachelor's or Diploma Programmes

If you are interested in getting admitted to a bachelor's or diploma programme at Uni Graz, you have to submit a document confirming your general university entrance qualification, such as:

  • Secondary School Leaving Certificate (e.g. high school diploma or similar)
  • Degree certificate, if you already completed a study programme

Whether or not your submitted certificate fulfills the admission criteria will be individually examined by the Rectorate of the University of Graz. Additional exams (Ergänzungsprüfungen) can be prescribed and have to be completed within the University Preparation Programme. Enrolling for a study programme is only possible when all additional exams are passed.

Master's Programmes

  • subject-specific bachelor's programme of at least 3 years (or similar)

The specific entry requirements for degree programmes are mentioned in the curriculum. No preliminary information about the chances to get admitted can be provided, as the rectorate assesses every candidate's application individually. Please submit also your transcript(s) of records.

In case the previous education (bachelor's programme) is not strictly equivalent to the University of Graz' bachelor's programme, a conditional admission is possible. In this case, additional classes (up to 30 ECTS) have to be completed until completing the programme.

Doctoral Studies

  • subject-specific bachelor's and master's programme or diploma programme (all diplomas/certificates and transcripts)

Further documents that are required for the admission can be found on the following website:

Non-EU/EEA nationals have to provide the University of Graz with an additional document to get admitted to a study programme. The qualification statement has to be issued by an officially accredited university of the country, which issued the "general university entrance qualification". It has to be issued for the academic year that you seek admission for at Uni Graz. Please note that you need to get the qualification statement from a university in the country, in which you  completed your previous education (e.g. secondary school or bachelor's/master's degree).


If you want to enrol for doctoral studies at the University of Graz, you may need to hand in an additional form - depending on the study programme you're interested in. Please refer to the Academic Affairs for further information.

Note: Besides the study programme, you also need to indicate your dissertation subject and ideally also the study-ID on the application form. Example: Doctoral programme Natural Sciences, dissertation subject: psychology. Please ask your future supervisor for further advice! 

If you have further questions about doctoral studies or how to plan your doctoral studies, feel free to get in touch wtih the DocService.

Please note that you may need to verify/legalize your original documents before submitting your application. Original documents have to be verified in the country of issue!

Note: Notarized, legalized or true copies are not accepted!

If your original documents were not issued in German or English, a translation into German or English is required. Further information can be found on this website:

It can take up to 12 weeks to process your application documents! Please consider this when planning your start.

  NON-EU/EEA nationals EU/EEA nationals and foreigners with equal admission status  
Bachelor's, Diploma and Teacher Training Programmes

05 September (winter semester)

05 February (summer semester)

05 September (winter semester)

05 February (summer semester)

Master's programmes

05 September (winter semester)

05 February (summer semester)

30 November (winter semester) 

30 April (summer semester)

Doctoral studies/PhD programmes ongoing application ongoing application  


Study programmes offered in German

Study programmes that are offered in German require German language skills before getting admitted to studies. In general, level C1 (according to CEFR) is required for beginning these study programmes. If you don't have a C1 German exam yet, you need to submit a language certificate from Goethe Institute, DSD or ÖSD of at least level A2 (according to CEFR) alongside your other application documents in order to start the University Preparation Programme in Graz and complete the required C1-level. Please note that German language certificates may not be older than 2 years.

  • Admission: C1 according to CEFR
  • Application: A2 according to CEFR

Please see this website for further information about language certificates or requirements:

Study programmes offered in English

Some master's programmes and doctoral studies at Uni Graz are offered in English. For these study programmes, no German but an English language certificate is required. Which study programmes the university currently offers in English and the exact requirements can be found on the Academic Affairs website.

The following certificates (not older than 2 years upon application) are accepted:

  • TOEFL iBT (score of at least 87 points)
  • IELTS (at least 6.5)
  • Cambridge Proficiency English (CPE) or
  • Cambridge Advanced English (CAE) (at least 180 or Grade C or higher)

More information:

Registration for Doctoral Schools

Some doctoral programmes are offered within a doctoral school. If you would like to enroll for a PhD offered within a doctoral school, you have to be admitted to the doctoral school before you can enroll for the actual degree programme. Please find further information in the info box. You can also contact the DocService for further assistance.

Doctoral Programmes in English

The following degree programmes are offered in English:

  • Doctoral Programme of Natural Science
  • Doctoral Programme of Philosophy with dissertation in English/American Studies
  • Doctoral Programme of Law (only when confirmed by the dean of studies)

End of this page section.

Begin of page section: Additional information:

End of this page section.