The Welcome Center is a service and information platform for international researchers and prospective international students coming to the University of Graz. Establishing and maintaining a hospitable university culture is one of the great concerns of the Welcome Center and the University of Graz. The aim is to guarantee a smooth start in Graz. Supporting its international target groups in overcoming administrative and cultural barriers is, therefore, considered a key goal.
We provide information on:
- Immigration (visa & residence titles in Austria)
- Finding accommodation in Graz
- Documents to bring to Austria
- How to open a bank account
- Austrian health insurance system
- Residence registration procedure (Meldewesen)
- Confirmation of registration for EU/EEA citizens
- Taxes in Austria (info event)
- Doctors who speak English or a foreign language
- Offers of the university for staff (e.g. dual career service, childcare etc.)
- Funding opportunities for German courses at treffpunkt sprachen
- Initial contact point for matters related to studying at the University of Graz for prospective international degree-seeking students
- Personal consultation during office hours as well as on appointment
Frequently, people from abroad face difficulties in building a network outside of their own department, institute or centre. To facilitate this, the Welcome Center offers networking events for international researchers, their partners and other interested staff members from Uni Graz.
Moreover, we offer cultural events several times per year, e.g. guided tours of the opera house in Graz, Eggenberg Castle and the Styrian Armoury. These events are free of charge and exclusively for our international target groups. These events aim at bringing our internationals closer to local culture.