End of this page section.

Begin of page section: Contents:

Before Your Stay

Planning your stay in Graz

On the following page you will find more information to better plan your stay at the University of Graz.

You can reach Graz by car, plane, bus or train.

The buildings of the University of Graz are found in several locations throughout the city. On the main campus, you will find – among other things – the main building at Universitaetsplatz 3, where the Academic Affairs office (admission process) and other central contact points are located. You can reach the main building by taking bus 63 (stop: "University") or 58 (stop: "Mozartgasse" or "Liebiggasse") from the main train station (Hauptbahnhof). From the Jakominiplatz, you can take bus 31 (stop:  "Uni/RESOWI" or "Uni/Mensa") to reach the main campus. If you are looking for a particular building or institution, you can use the interactive campus map to search for a specific address.

More information:

When you are employed part-time or full-time at the University of Graz and earn a monthly salary that exceeds the marginal earnings threshold (2018: 446.81 EUR), you are registered for health, accident, social security and unemployment insurance by your employer. The social security contributions payable to employees is automatically deducted from your salary each month. The insurance carrier for employees of the University of Graz is usually the BVA (the insurance fund for public service employees, Versicherungsanstalt öffentlich Bediensteter). Family members may also be insured, provided they live in Austria.

As soon as you are insured, you will be sent an E-Card (European Health Insurance Card), upon which personal data such as your insurance number and name are stored. When you visit a doctor, you must show them your E-Card. There are doctors who have contracts with one or more health insurance providers (Kassenarzt), private consultants (Wahlarzt) and private specialists (Privatarzt). The costs of the services from a contracted doctor are covered by the health insurance provider. Should you decide to go to a private consultant, you must first pay for the treatment, but your health insurance provide may refund part of the cost if you submit the invoice. You must pay for the costs associated with treatment by a private specialist on your own. You can read more on the Public Health Portal of Austria (Öffentlichen Gesundheitsportal Österreichs, only in German). 

Further information:

Graz offers a wide range of housing options for international students. We suggest to book a hotel room or fully furnished apartment for your first days or weeks in Graz. This gives you the opportunity to find permanent housing directly in Graz.

rental agreement can be concluded for either a limited or an indefinite period of time. It is usually possible to terminate the agreement prior to the contract end-date, but you should read the exact provisions on the website of the Tenants' Association(Mietervereinigung, only in German). For example, if you have a rental agreement that extends for three years, you are legally allowed to terminate the contract after one year.

You can find apartments and rooms for rent by private parties on particular websites. You can also find suitable places to live advertised in Austrian and local newspapers (e.g., the Kleine Zeitung, Kronen Zeitung, Der Standard, and Die Presse). The Austrian Students Union (Österreichische Hochschüler/innenschaft, ÖH) at the Uni Graz also maintains an online platform that can be helpful during your search for a job and/or residence in Graz.

When an apartment is rented through a real estate agent (Makler/innen), a broker's commission of up to 2 months’ rent can be additionally charged, depending on the length of the contract. For more information about brokerage commissions in Austria, visit the website of the Tenants' Association (Mietervereinigung, only in German).

You can also find useful information concerning accommodation on page 11 of the brochure "Living and Working in Austria".

More information:

Portals for finding accommodation:

The Dual Career Service, which provides support for five Styrian universities, can help you get started at the University of Graz. To support your career development, partnerships, family and mobility, personal consultations with international employees are offered to help you find individual solutions for you and your partner. The Dual Career Service at the University of Graz also cooperates with internal organizations such as unikid & unicare and the Career Center to make the transition to Austria as simple as possible.

Further information:

The university collective agreement (Universitäten-Kollektivvertrag, KV) includes a salary per scale for academic staff, according to which they will be paid. You can download the collective agreement on the website of "uniko" (German only).

In order to receive your salary, an Austrian bank account is required. Please find further information under "After your arrival".

Taxation of Salary

When you work for the University of Graz, your wages are considered to be income from salaried employment (and, therefore, are differentiated from income from self-employment). Both the mandatory contributions to the social security system and the income tax are deducted automatically from the gross wage as part of the monthly payroll conducted by the university. The funds that constitute your monthly wage and are transferred to your account, therefore, have already been taxed.

You must pay income tax on any gainful income, just like on your salary received from the University of Graz, and this is usually automatically deducted – as are the social security contributions – directly from your pre-tax wages. 

The taxation is progressive. This means that the tax rate depends on your income; the higher the income, the higher the tax rate. The tax rates can be found on the website of the Federal Ministry of Finance.

Employee Tax Assessment

The employee tax assessment (or "annual adjustment") is a tax adjustment that you can make to reclaim a portion of the tax paid. You must file the tax assessment for a calendar year within five years.  In certain cases – such as when you have had several contracts with various employers – filing an employee tax assessment is mandatory. In these cases, a shorter deadline may need to be met. For more information, refer to the information pages about the employee tax assessment.

Pension Plan

Anyone who is insured in Austria may enter retirement (Alterspension) from the age of 65 on and continues to receive a portion of the salary. More detailed information can be found on the website of the Austrian Chamber of Labour (Arbeiterkammer).

The social security contributions deducted from your employment wages go in part towards the statutory pension insurance.  More information about the Austrian pension system, as well as about international pensions (whereby the pension insurance is earned in multiple countries), can be found to the right under “More Info”.

In addition to the statutory pension insurance plan, all employees who have signed a collective agreement with the university (Universitäten-Kollektivvertrag, KV) and who meet specific eligibility requirements are granted a pension fund. If the eligibility requirements are fulfilled, the University provides a pension fund in an amount equivalent to 3% of the gross monthly salary in addition to the agreed upon remuneration. The pension fund of the University of Graz is the VBV Pensionskasse.

Further information:

If you wish to bring already existing research projects with you, or get information about applying for new projects, you can contact our Research Management in advance.



Welcome Center
Universitaetsplatz 3/1st floor 8010 Graz
Phone:+43 (0)316 380 - 3940


Opening hours:
Monday - Friday 10am - 12 noon
as well as on appointment

Please note our news section for changes!

End of this page section.

Begin of page section: Additional information:

End of this page section.